Serious Mold in Unoccupied Home
A lot of things can go wrong when a home is left unoccupied for an extended period of time, especially if there is no caretaker to check in periodically. Such was the unforunate case for this East Lansing home.
This home had been left unattended for about a year. A family member of the homeowner received a large utility bill and had a handy-man go check out what was going on. The water pump went out and the house had not been winterized, and with the cold temperatures of Michigan's winter season, pipes were freezing and bursting. Water was trapped between the first floor ceiling and second floor, causing the entire first floor ceiling to collapse in the living room. Due to the warm temperature of the home and undisturbed air, mold and bacteria began to form everywhere. Pink, blue, green, and black spots covered the walls and ceilings, mold had begun to eat away at wood furniture and knickknacks, and a thick, white mold covered the underside of the ceiling that had collapsed.
Taking proper precautions when a home will be unoccupied is imperative. Hiring a handy-man or family friend to check on the property regularly, maintaining insurance, and keeping an eye on utility bills can prevent a massive mold infestation from forming, saving you thousands of dollars.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of East Lansing/Haslett specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.