Fire Safety in The Kitchen
According to the NFPA, US Fire Departments responded to an average of 166,000 fires per year between 2010 and 2014 that involved cooking equipment. Home fires are more likely to start in your kitchen than any other room in the house.
Grease fires are caused by letting oil get too hot, so the best way to prevent them is to never leave your kitchen unattended. Oil smokes before it burns, so if you see your pan start to smoke, take it off the heat before it has a chance to catch fire. If the pan has already caught fire, turn off the burner immediately and place a heavy metal lid on the pan - never use a glass lid as it will shatter - or use a baking sheet if you don't have metal lids. Never pour water on a grease fire!
Our blog post "Which Fire Extinguisher Is Right For You?" indicates which fire extinguishers are effective on each type of fire. In the case of a grease fire, you will need a Class B fire extinguisher.
Here are some safety tips to help prevent a fire in your kitchen:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you must leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking.
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
- Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens, and small appliances are turned off.
- Consider purchasing a fire extinguisher to keep in your kitchen. Contact your local fire department to take training on the proper use of extinguishers.
- Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen, on each level of your home, near sleeping areas, and inside and outside bedrooms if you sleep with doors closed. Use the test button to check it each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.